Everyone likes to travel and familiarize himself with new marvelous places a lot. It is a real pleasure to discover new sites for yourself, especially, if you frequently have a trip to different locations. Moreover, it brings more satisfaction to capture the beauty of each place you visit. Every avid photographer does not let himself to miss the opportunity to take several couples of fantastic photos. It applies not only to professional photographers but also to every traveler. Each person finds it interesting and even wonderful to capture on camera moving moments with a spectacular view of the background. That’s why it is a great idea to ship a drone with you. Do not let yourself to miss the chance to take some memorial photos. But the problem of shipping a drone appears.
Take it easy, because we will tell you how to ship a drone in the right way. Furthermore, we are going to share our knowledge on other details you should know before moving with your drone.
Do you Own Lithium Batteries?
Despite the fact that lithium batteries are very good for managing a drone, there is one little minus. Well, usually they are very safe and do not threaten anyone. However, you should provide extra care for your lithium batteries in order to avoid causing a violent fire.
Have you never seen and heard LiPo fire? There is a lot of information about it on the Internet. YouTube contains many LiPo fire videos to watch.
Do Airlines Allow Shipping a Drone?
Most airlines forbid passages to ship a drone. The main reason for this is causing a violent fire (because of lithium batteries). Sudden pressure and temperature changes may lead to catching fire of batteries. You should be aware of such a danger in advance. Check the site of the chosen airline to make sure whether you can take your drone or not. If it is allowed to take a drone, you should take it as a carry-on luggage.
It is said that there was an accident. When the flight was in 5- 10 minutes away from take-off in Melbourne, Australia, the crew noticed the white smoke. It was coming out of the cargo hold. Drone batteries caught on fire. As it turned out later, the owner of that drone, as opposed to rules, had taken the drone as general luggage. Fortunately, it did not happen during the flight. No one suffered.
Thus, drone batteries must be taken only as a carry-on luggage according to rules of every airline. You are not allowed to ship your drone in a general luggage.
How to Ship a Drone?
It is very important to pack a drone and controller toughly. If you do it properly, you will avert any damage during shipping. This point is divided into several steps to follow in order not to puzzle.
- Put off all batteries. You need to pack your drone and batteries separately (in the next point you will get knowledge about how to ship drone batteries).
- Find a suitable box. If you still have the original packaging, use it. Be sure the chosen box is tough enough. Also, make sure your drone and controller get in the box.
- Roll up both sides of the camera gimbal with the bubble wrap. You should secure everything that moves.
- The motors and arms should be secured with the bubble wrap.
- Then wrap around the main body of the drone with the bubble wrap.
- Make sure you taped all seams and flaps down flat to ensure the drone cannot escape
- When the drone is wrapped, it is time for the controller. Be sure all aerials are folder down. Then, you need to do the same job. Wrap your controller around with the bubble wrap.
- Pack the bottom of the box with the bubble wrap.
- Place your drone and controller into the box.
- Then fill the box with the bubble wrap. Make sure that all space around is filled. It is necessary in order to protect the items from damages and stop them from moving inside the box.
- Tape the box outside. Use the strong tape in order to secure your items toughly.
- Now it is time to wrap your box with brown packing paper or plastic wrapping.
- When the box is all wrapped, you should attach your postage label.
Shake the box and listen. If you do not hear any noise, your drone and controller are packed in the best way.
How to Ship Drone Batteries?
Batteries surround us everywhere. However, we should be aware of the risks they can lead to. Everyone should be on alarm, especially when it concerns lithium batteries. As we have already mentioned, such batteries can easily cause a fire. You need to over think it before the flight. Check the website of the chosen airline and make sure that shipping a drone is allowed. Some airlines do not allow shipping a drone at all. Others forbid shipping a drone is the general luggage, but allow ship it in a carry-on luggage. Check such details before a flight.
You need to pack batteries before shipping them. This process includes several steps you need to follow:
- Find the suitable case, sturdy box or bags for your batteries. If you do not have anyone, you may transit one your battery with a drone, but you will need to take your drone as a carry-on luggage. You should install the battery in the device. If you take advantage of the last piece of advice, you should wrap the buttons of the device around in order to avoid turning on.
- You need to take precautions in protecting the batteries against short-circuiting and overheating.
- Then pack the batteries in the chosen case or bags.
- Pack them roughly in order to avert knocking with each other.
Drones are applying globally. They are loved by the majority of people, especially by avid photographers and travelers. As you know, a great and exciting part of owning a drone is the ability to make photos far away from the ground. That’s why most people want to carry own drone with themselves in different countries. But everyone should know how to ship a drone properly. If you are going to travel with your drone, you should pay attention to the airline’s rules. Make sure you are allowed to take the drone as a carry-on luggage with the batteries. Then, pack your drone, controller, and batteries. Follow our steps in order to do everything correctly.